Monday, December 17, 2012

Home Means Nevada Art Lesson

 On October 31st, Nevada became a state in 1864 and each year we Nevadans celebrate its inclusion to the union the last Friday of October. The upper grades had been studying Paleolithic Cave art at the time and Nevada is rich with beautiful rock art throughout the state. The kindergarten classes learned about the ancient peoples of Nevada by studying their art and creating their own inspired by authentic ancient designs. The designs were provided by the Nevada Rock Art Foundation, "a non-profit, volunteer-driven organization dedicated to documenting and preserving the rock art of Nevada through education and public outreach."


As a separate Nevada Day celebration, I took a class at the Nevada Museum of Art on pine needle basket weaving. There is a long history of native american basket weavers in our culture. I thought I would give it a try. This is my 1" x 1" basket that took me FOUR. Yes, FOUR! hours to complete. I have a much deeper appreciation for the amazing baskets on display at our state museum. 





No comments:

Post a Comment